20170128

Como music Rachel Ries Dead Pigeon

Rachel Ries - 170128
Hi, I spoke with you briefly after your performance at Como Conservatory 1/22/17 about your "Dead Pigeon" song... Homing/Cardinal.  I mentioned to you that I raise Pigeons. Actually not raise them, I have them as pets... actually they're not pets, they are members of the family. I currently have five, they are my children and I love them dearly, and they love me SOooo much. I also have Chickens and sweet gently loving Doves (and cat and dog). .



A love story >Your song really moved me because of one of my dear sweet Pigeon named Velcro (she sticks to me ... a 7yo female Voorburg Shield Cropper).
 100312c.jpg



Video - Velcro loved to be with me.




A few years ago, Velcro had "died" on several occasions with very very serious injuries (interesting stories), but somehow she survived each time. I spent many many hours and days and days cradling her semi-conscious body in my arms hoping she'd recover, and each time a miracle, she did recover.




. . Another of my Pigeons, 2.5, a pure white now-10yo female Homer, lost her first 3 husbands to hawks and cats.
And then I got Velcro. At that time 2.5 did not have a partner, so the two females Velcro and 2.5 decided to become a couple. They fell MADLY deeply in love, they were inseparable... the ultimate love story.  They'd cry when they were apart. It was beautiful to see how much they loved each other, 24/7 constant hugging and kissing.



10420d.jpg

They were lovers for five years, THEN .....
. . . One day Velcro was flying from the aviary to the deck to visit me when a hawk swooped down and killed her in mid-air, broke her neck. Dead, she was laying on the ground with her "head next to her heart". I was devastated and still am... I cried for days. She is now buried at my farm up north. She was such a happy care-free soul, she just seemed to love life so much ... and she loved to be with me. I took it very hard, like losing a part of me. I cried, and cried, and still do... I miss her.

 140526d

Velcro's partner, 2.5 was also devastated. I had never seen a depressed Pigeon before. She'd sit near the aviary window day after day motionless all day, just staring off into space, waiting for Velcro's return home (Homing). 140612a

After that, 2.5 rarely left the aviary, always waiting for Velcro to come home. It took about 1 year for her to start a new life... 2.5 was alone now but she'd still come in the house and call and call for Velcro, searching the house for Velcro. They had spent many happy hours together in our house. It made me so sad seeing how desperately 2.5 wanted to be with Velcro again. It was easy to see that 2.5 was hurting ... so ...
. . So now it was just Newbie, a male 2yo Modena Pigeon, ...  and 2.5.



151224b

But, 2.5 resented Newbie and would not let him near her, she only wanted Velcro back. It took 2.5 many months before she finally accepted Newbies presence and then many more months before she reluctantly accepted Newbie as her new partner.
. . They've been together a few years now, but it's kinda sad though because it's just NOT the same. 2.5 finally accepted Newbie as a partner, but the love just isn't there. I never see those signs of deep affection like with Velcro. ... they just kind of live together. I know 2.5 still wants Velcro back.
. . Anyway... your song made me think of Velcro... I miss her so much.
.
.
I never think of them as birds... they are just like us, tiny feathered humans, and they have  *exactly* the same feelings and emotions that we do... love, fear, compassion, sadness, happiness, joy, loneliness, anger, jealousy, contentment, etc etc... I've seen them all. 
.
Over the years I have posted many many times about events in the Pigeons lives... tragic, funny, cute, humorous, emotional (Will make you cry), clever, and very sweet behavior. I have learned so much about life from my birds. I don't train them,... they train me - to do what they want me to do (food, water, in/out, hugs needed, etc), they speak very clearly if you stop to listen, all animals do.
. . . On my farm I had many hundreds of pets, domestic and wild. In town I can only have traditional pets plus Chickens, Pigeons and Doves (and cat and dog). I teach classes at various cities "The Art of Keeping Chickens"... Super efficient Solar coops, always above freezing for less than $5 per year, and super easy maintenance, VERY happy Chickens. 
.
. If I was a writer, I could easily write many books about the lives and adventures of birds and animals. My pet Seagull, Diddy,  deserves a book of her own, extremely intelligent and clever creature... SO many funny, unbelievable and amazing stories. She was the boss of the barnyard over my 140 dogs, 30 cows, 9 horses, sheep, goats, 9 cats, etc, and a pet fox. Diddy was wise and very intelligent.

. . Maybe you can meet Simon someday? He's famous.

                                         141013.jpg
Simon is a 16yo pure white Modena Pigeon.. he goes EVERYwhere with us.. camping, hiking, visiting, vacations, into stores, visiting relatives in the hospital, ...nursing homes (a therapy Pigeon)... we're never apart.      160830.jpg

He LOVES to ride on the dashboard. Maybe the most held by strangers, and most photographed Pigeon in the world, even been in a wedding.

131004a# Lake Superior, Split Rock Lighthouse
151012au 

151011aa - - - Simon questions the "Foot Travel Only".

Since he's so old, he is now a House Pigeon... every evening about 10pm he comes to find me to get his good-night hug. Again many Many MANY humorous and sweet stories about Simon Pigeon and his adventures... another book ~:<)  Simon has his own FB site too.
. . Anyway, mostly just wanted you to know about how your song affected me.


Les Larson (Ace or "Bert Larson" on FB (Profile is head Bert Rooster).





1 comment: